The Implications of Playing Music from the Past

Music from the past is great! Pioneers such as J.S. Bach, Mozart or Beethoven have broken the boundaries and evolved the sound of music as a whole. However, the implications of only playing their music which comes from the past would be a step in the wrong direction, as that would have heavy implications on the music industry as a whole. If the entire point of music was to just recite the past instead of creating a new future, there would come a time where the material gets dull. There wouldn’t be any progression in the sound at all. The music industry would arguably collapse, as there would be no support for up and coming artists, because what would be the point of doing so? They would just be recreating a sound that already exists, so why not listen to the original instead? Would there even be any new “artists” anymore if everyone is reminiscing of the artists of the past? Playing exclusively from the past would hinder creativity as a whole for humankind.

Types of Music to Perform on the Trumpet

I don’t necessarily dislike any genres of music I play, but one of my absolute favorite genres to play is in the RnB/Funk area, whether if its predominantly instrumental or not. A band that I’ve been following since late 2017 is the Jacob Mann Big Band. It’s a massive 17~20 part band organized by a pianist by the name of Jacob Mann. This type of music is something I’ll never get old of. The rhythm and parts are so tightly knit and so funky at the same, and listening and playing to it is just so damn fun. My personal favorites of theirs is Baby Carrots, Pete Wheeler, and Kogi, which are tiny samples of how extraordinary this band is. And of course, I can’t forget about Jazz, which is also great to play. Standards like Strasbourg St. Denis by Roy Hargrove or Where or When by Wynton Marsalis are things that helps me express myself freely to others.

Nietszche

Personally, my opinion about this quote, and on music from the past in general, is that yes, we should look into it as it is rich in ideas and influence, but the focus should definitely be on more modern music. As we live in the present, we never realize that the music around us is going to be etched in history. The past is being created every passing second, and it is important to know that. I agree about how the quote says that we should fully exert the present before diving deep into the past.