BASED ON PROMPT 1

As the Covid-19 Pandemic continues around the world, it has been extremely interesting to see the adaption of music. One aspect that has been very intriguing to watch has been how music has been presented in today’s world. With shows being effectively nullified for the foreseeable future, online streaming has been the primary way for musicians to showcase things as little as jam sessions, music videos inside the house, all the way up to full, high production concerts. Here are some of my favorite “remote sessions” that have occurred in this bizarre year.

1. Walkin’ – Jazz at Lincoln Center with Wynton Marsalis

One of the biggest trends that I have seen this year has definitely been jazz remote sessions. All you need is a solid backing track, any sort of microphone, and you’re good to go! The “Jazz At Home” series by Wynton Marsalis has been one of my favorite things to keep up with recently, as it features multiple members of the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra.

2.  All I Need – Jacob Collier (feat. Ty Dolla $ign and Mahalia)

Another project that I really liked this year was this music video by Jacob Collier for his single All I Need, which he recorded in his house bathroom during quarantine, and incorporated visuals of Mahalia and Ty Dolla $ign in the bathroom mirrors and many more. The creativity within the music. such as the visuals of the video, the utilized sounds of bathroom utensils, all the way up to how talented Jacob is by arranging this, makes this video so enjoyable.

3. Trains – Blue Note Tokyo All Star Jazz Orchestra (feat. Eric Miyashiro, Peter Erskine and Bob James)

Another project that I enjoyed was this arranged piece of Trains, featuring a Japanese based jazz orchestra Blue Note Tokyo. This 26 player arrangement is the perfect example of the new age of remote sessions.

Overall, though I miss live performances, however these new, remote sessions have been highly entertaining to view. It doesn’t take away the creativity of musicians and can continue to be high quality. There are many more performances that I enjoy greatly, from jam sessions to DJ sets. I’ll link a little bit more stuff down here:

Madeon – DJ Set (Home Edition)

Jacob Collier – Tiny Desk (Home) Concert

Braxton Cook – Tiny Desk (Home) Concert